Seven Steps to Avoid Employment Claims
July 10th, 2012 by JBWK
As any human resources representative or small business owner knows, employment law claims–even frivolous ones–can be a big burden. Anyone looking to be proactive in avoiding them should read this simple primer for several effective ways to reduce employment claims and lawsuits.
While these techniques themselves pose some burdens, they are much easier (and cheaper!) than dealing with a lawsuit:
- Draft an effective employee handbook
- Conduct pre-employment background checks
- Use accurate and current written job descriptions
- Know the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Understand wage and hour laws
- Implement effective anti-harassment policies and investigations
- Document poor performance, employee discipline, and termination
They may require some up-front effort, but they will save a lot of time and money in the long run.
Comments are closed.